In this assignment, you will develop two separate infographics (informative posters) to discuss two separate health issues relevant to the LGBT communities. Infographics are to have few words, and mostly pictures and graphics. Note: acronyms such as LGBT, STD, etc. have to be spelled out in titles and headings and when used as the first word of a sentence.
In each infographic you will discuss:
1. What is the health problem
2. Which group(s) are most likely to be at risk
3. What social/behavioral/health system determinants affect this
4. Identify at least two potential interventions/activities the community, community health agency, community health nurse could offer to prevent and or support this health issue
5. What resistance might be met in implementing the intervention/activity
View these links on how to create infographics:
You should submit two infographics and one reference list containing at least three scholarly sources. These can be submitted as three separate files.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, it is important to ensure that medical college students are able to expand their knowledge on health issues relevant to all communities, including the LGBT community. In this assignment, students will develop two separate infographics that discuss two separate health issues relevant to the LGBT community.
1. What is the health problem?
The health problem that will be discussed in the first infographic is HIV/AIDS. The health problem that will be discussed in the second infographic is mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety.
2. Which group(s) are most likely to be at risk?
In the case of HIV/AIDS, men who have sex with men, transgender individuals, and people who inject drugs are among the groups that are most likely to be at risk. For mental health issues, individuals who identify as LGBTQ+ are more likely to experience discriminatory behavior, which can negatively impact mental health.
3. What social/behavioral/health system determinants affect this?
Social determinants of health, such as stigma and discrimination, can affect both the prevalence and the management of HIV/AIDS and mental health issues among the LGBT community. Furthermore, issues such as lack of insurance coverage and inadequate healthcare access can further hinder prevention and treatment efforts.
4. Identify at least two potential interventions/activities the community, community health agency, community health nurse could offer to prevent and or support this health issue.
In the case of HIV/AIDS, potential interventions may include promoting safe sex practices such as using condoms or providing education on the importance of routine HIV testing. For mental health issues, interventions could include educating healthcare providers on LGBTQ+ cultural competency while also promoting increased access to mental health services tailored to the needs of LGBT individuals.
5. What resistance might be met in implementing the intervention/activity?
Resistance to HIV prevention practices may arise due to societal stigma surrounding sexual practices that might be deemed risky or deviant. In the case of mental health support, opposition could come from those who believe that being LGBTQ+ is a choice or a behavioral issue rather than a matter of identity. Additionally, there may be barriers to accessing healthcare resources due to lack of provider awareness and availability.
#assignment #develop #separate #infographics