The reading for this week looks at how the study of gender connects to real change. You have read about the field of Gender Studies, of which the Sociology of Gender is a part, and about social movements and activism in the service of gender equality.
As a response to this post, and making direct references to the learning resources for this week, give your own assessment of the value of studying gender, particularly from a sociological standpoint. How can the Sociology of Gender affect our world outside this classroom? Some ideas (you do not have to comment on all of these; they are just prompts for thinking):
- What are some under- (or un-) investigated issues that the Sociology of Gender could address?
- Why is gender an important topic for sociological research?
- How does research in the Sociology of Gender contribute to social movements working toward gender equality?
- What is the relationship between the Sociology of Gender and feminism?
- What is something you learned this session that you’ll take with you outside of this class?
- What have you learned that you wish other people knew?
- Is there any learning resource from this class that you will share with others? Why?
- Would you recommend that other people in your major (or in other majors) take a course on gender, or this course in particular?
- What do you believe is the value of the Sociology of Gender as a field, and as part of a university curriculum?
Course materials to use: