PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHMENT FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
Week 06 Assignment – Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA)
This assignment provides students with the opportunity to identify a high-risk process in the practice setting and then conduct a failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA).
The FMEA is a systematic, proactive approach to assess risk of failure and harm in a high-risk process, and identify areas for process improvement.
PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT FOR THE CHART
- Use the FMEA Table as displayed in Figure 1 at the end of Week 5 lesson. A copy of the table is also available in an Excel Spreadsheet.
- Steps in the process
- Failure modes, failure causes, and failure effects
- Likelihood of Occurrence (1-10)
- Likelihood of Detection (1-10)
- Severity (1-10)
- Risk Profile Number (RPN)
- Actions to Reduce Occurrence of Failure
- Use the MS Excel table FMEA for High Risk Process to fill out your failure and effect analysis according to the IHI lesson.
- Attach your Excel table below and ‘submit for grade’.
- Nash, Joshi, Ransom, & Ransom: Chapter 10.
- Chassin, M. R., & Loeb, J. M.. (2011, April). The ongoing quality improvement journey: Next stop, high reliability. Health Affairs, 30(4), 559-568. (Library Link)
- TJC. (2021). 2021 National Patient Safety Goals. The Joint Commission.
- Staines, A., Amalberti, R., Berwick, D.M., Braithwaite, J., Lachman, P., & Vincent, C. A.. (2020). Covid-19: Patient Safety and Quality Improvement skills to deploy during the surge. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, pp 1-3.
- Thull-Feedman, J., Mondoux, S., Stang, A., & Chartier, L.B. (2020). Going to the COVID-19 Gemba: Using observation and high reliability strategies to achieve safety in a time of crisis. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2020, 1-4.
(Open Access Creative Commons NC-4.0)
Content in weeks Lesson
- Federico, Frank. (2017). Bringing it all together: The journey to high reliability. Barnes Jewish Hospital; Washington University in St. Louis Physicians. (Video)
- Federico, Frank. (2021). Reliable Systems and Processes. IHI Open School. (Video)
- MedStar Health. (2017, Sept.). Mindfulness in a High Reliability Organization. MedStar Health. (Video)
- N.A. (2018, June). Understand the Science of Safety. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (Video)
- N.A. (2021). Transforming Health Care into a High Reliability Industry. Joint Commission Center for Transforming Healthcare. (Video)
- Press Ganey Associates. (2018, Feb.). High Reliability: Improving the Safety, Quality and Experience of Care. Press Ganey Associates, LLC. (Video)