Complex World is a leading publication for interdisciplinary approaches to real-world problems. It is a publication that you will encounter in future courses at Excelsior.
For our purposes, we will consider it a peer-reviewed source (as your instructor will be reviewing your submissions) that addresses public issues and problems from an interdisciplinary lens.
For your first submission to Complex World at Excelsior College, you will submit a short editorial. We are increasingly seeing peer-reviewed journals invite experts to share insights in the form of these editorials. It is a mechanism to disseminate information to the professional community while the often-lengthy research is in progress around pressing issues, such as the recent pandemic, responses to violent natural and human-made events, and more.
The cover of the issue to which you will be submitting your editorial will give you a visual of the theme of the magazine.
Remember that editorials are typically opinion pieces; supporting your opinions with data adds to your credibility. So, be sure your opinions are supported by evidence. Assume that Complex World is a leading source of interdisciplinary information for leaders in all fields and careers.
Write a short editorial as a forward thinker to address the following:
Crises are indeed “all hands on deck” occurrences, many of which are long-lasting like natural disasters, pandemics, and civil unrest. They can test the mettle of any leader! How would you advise other leaders in your discipline to prepare themselves as ethical leaders for the next crisis? What is one ethical concern they might encounter, and what is your advice to them? Think about what you have learned about ethical theory to application and use the ethical framework of your discipline to anchor your advice.
Be sure to explicitly state if certain groups have been historically left out of important decision-making.
For Complex World, here are the formatting requirements:
- Your article should be no fewer than 600 words and no more than 800.
- Your article should be submitted using the Complex World submission template. Download submission template.
- You have the ability to move images and headings within the template.
- Be sure to include subheadings to break up your text and walk the readers through the sections of the article.
- Lead and inline images are highly suggested. Note that images convey emotion, much like our article cover does. They also help to break up the text. Unsplash (Links to an external site.) or Pixabay (Links to an external site.) are great sources for free images.