In order to have a basic understanding of the budget development and oversight process, having the opportunity to talk with someone who has experience in this area (from beginning to end) will help you develop a better understanding of how it works.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: Collaboration
Arrange your field experience for this course in a PK-12 school setting in which you will observe and collaborate with a certified school principal. At this site, conduct a meeting with two of the three people who are responsible for overseeing a school program budget: a teacher, staff member, or volunteer (e.g., booster club president, treasurer, etc.).
Your discussion should address the following:
- What program do you work with that has a budget?
- Who helps to determine how the funds are allocated and spent?
- How did you find out the budget amount? Does this amount fluctuate from year to year?
- What determines the budget amount? How are the needs assessed and analyzed?
- Are there restrictions to what can be purchased/funded with the budget?
- How do you determine what the funds will be used to purchase?
- Does the program generate any funding that adds to the budget? If so, how are the funds generated?
- How is the budget aligned to the school’s mission and values?
- How does the budget support the success of students?
- What does the reconciliation process look like each month for this budget? How many people are involved?
Ask your mentor principal for permission to review the school’s current budget and continuous improvement plan (CIP) or school improvement plan (SIP). This will be needed for an assignment in Topic 3.
Part 2: Program Needs Assessment
Administer the online needs assessment survey created in Topic 1 to the individuals you interviewed in Part 1. (Here is the online assessment –
Use any remaining field experience hours to observe and/or assist the principal mentor.
Part 3: Summary and Reflection
In 500-750 words, summarize your two discussions, the results from the needs assessment survey, and any additional field experiences. Include a brief description of the meeting setting and the pseudo names (or real names with permission) and titles of the interviewees. Incorporate PSEL standards into your summary and describe how you will apply what you have learned to your future professional practice.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and PSEL standards should be referenced using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite Technical Support Articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
Document the locations and hours you spend in the field on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form in the last topic. Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.