A foundational knowledge of the three tiers of cybersecurity provides an understanding of hashing and the basic principles of digital integrity within a system.
Complete the following:
- View the “Hashing Lab” video, located in the Class Resources.
- Provide screenshots of an MD5 hash, md5sum, SHA256 hash, sha256sum, and sha512sum.
Write a 250- to 500-word lab report and include a title page, table of contents, overview, and summary. Address the following in the summary:
- Provide examples of symmetric and asymmetric encryption.
- Explain why hashing or message digest is important.
- Describe what a collision is and how it affects hashing.
- Explain what the difference is between the differing levels of the hashing algorithms and why might you want to use one over the other.
- Explain PKI and describe what role cryptography plays in PLI. Identify some common uses for the technology and how it is important in keeping information secure.
please cite sources