Assume you have been selected to be the project manager for a project of your choice. The project that you use must meet the key criteria of a project. It must:
- Have a beginning and an end.
- Result in something being delivered to someone.
- Require a series of activities that must be done to complete the project.
- Require resources (for example, people and materials) to complete the work.
The project can be one of a personal or professional nature and must last for at least nine months.
Note: You are prohibited from using projects that can found on the Internet, including projects found in places such as CourseHero. All project submissions are submitted to SafeAssign for review.
Write a 3–4 page paper (does not include your required cover sheet) in which you define the scope of your chosen project:
- Provide a brief summary of your chosen project.
- Describe at least two project goals and two project objectives.
“Don’t lose points”:
Contrary to popular belief – project goals and objectives (you must provide at least two for each) has nothing to do with solely delivering the project on time and within budget (although time and budget can be a part just not the only part). Goals expand and or add dimension to “what” the project will deliver. Objective provide “how” these same goals will be reached.
Example: My scope is to build a 3 bedroom 2 bath house; my project goals would be that the house be 1. Eco friendly and 2. Energy efficient. My project objectives is how I will reach these project goals: Example 1. Use chemical free materials and 2. Use the best energy efficient appliances.
First – delivering project on time, within budget and within scope are NOT project goals/objectives. These are the natural expectations of all projects (project management goals) also refer to as the Triple Constraint or Golden Triangle:
If my scope is to deliver a security software system:
Goal 1 (What?) Software must be easy to use —> Objective 1 (How?) Use friendly navigational screens
Goal 2 (What?) Software should prevent Hacking —> Objective 2 (How?) Research/implement best anti Hacking coding
All the goals provide more details to the WHAT is to be deliver..and objectives detail HOW these goals will be achieved.
- Describe the project management structure that you will use to manage the project. Will you manage it via the existing functional structure of the organization, set up a projectized/dedicated project team, or use a matrix management structure? If you will use a matrix structure, which type will you use?
- Identify the key customer (or customers. NOTE: THE CUSTOMER HERE IS THE PERSON OR ORGANIZATION PAYING FOR THE PROJECT) and at least two stakeholders for your project. Discuss their roles and their impact on the project. Remember that although you are delivering the project to your customer, there are others (stakeholders) who also have a vested interest in your project.